Work with us
Please check below for details of current job opportunities. We are always on the lookout for enthusiastic individuals to join our ever growing team, so if you have a passion for the outdoors, adventure and like to see young lives transformed then please do get in touch.
Standard - Level 3
We are looking for a committed and enthusiastic Apprentice to assist with the delivery of high quality social and personal development through residential outdoor education. Applicants must have some personal experience of Outdoor and Adventurous activities and be keen to develop personal skills and leadership skills in a range of outdoor activities.
Good organisation, communication and ICT skills are expected and the successful candidate will need to demonstrate their initiative and resourcefulness. The apprenticeship is offered in partnership with Channel Training Limited.
Salary scale – £ 9,380 p.a. (Apprentice National Minimum Wage)
Minimum age – 18
Closing Date – 12pm Wednesday 13th July
Interview Date – Thursday 21st July
Possible Start Date – Thursday 1st September
Hours: Full Time – The working week will average 37 hours. It will comprise both on-job and off-job training and will include evening and some weekend work.
This post is offered subject to an enhanced D.B.S. check.
Applicants will be expected to gain experience and skills in the following activities across the course of the apprenticeship:
- Stand Up Paddleboarding
- Rock Climbing
- Hill Walking
- Gorge Walking
- Team Building
Outgoing, approachable, well presented, friendly, committed, enthusiastic, independent, fit and keen to learn. A positive drive to develop your personal skills in adventurous activities is essential.
Evidence of resourcefulness and commitment.
An essential part of working in the outdoor and active leisure industries is taking your own skills development seriously. This means that successful candidates are usually those who can show a clear commitment to improving their personal skill in activities and working towards coaching awards.
A job in the outdoor and active leisure industry is an exciting and rewarding one, but you need to be ready to get totally involved. This will mean being flexible over hours – we often work evenings or weekends – and flexible over roles – we’re as likely to be on the end of a brush or mop as we are on the end of a rope! Ask lots of questions to make sure you know what to expect from this varied and exciting opportunity.
Successful candidates who complete their apprenticeship will be eligible to progress to the post of Activity Instructor at LOLC or comparable roles at other centres.
Day to Day duties
- Assisting with the delivery of high quality sessions of residential and non-residential outdoor learning.
- Supervising small groups of children / young people in a residential setting.
- Assisting to clean and maintain activity equipment and facilities used by the client groups to ensure that the highest standards of Health and Safety are achieved
Desirable – knowledge and experience of working with children and young people, some personal experience in outdoor activities.
Essential – a passion for personal development through outdoor activities.
Desirable – 5 GCSEs A*-C including Maths and English, personal skills awards in Outdoor Activities e.g. BCU star awards, NICAS, D of E, Scouts etc.
Essential – Have completed GCSE Grade E-D / 2-3 in Functional Skills Maths and English (or be working towards Level 2 Maths and English)
- 2 Day ITC Level 3 Award in Outdoor First Aid
- Safeguarding training and certificate
- Manual Handling (ITC Level 2 Award in safe moving and handling)
- ITC Level 2 Award in Health and Safety in the workplace
- COSHH Training
- Customer Care Training
- Prevent Training
- British Canoeing 2* / Discover / Explore
- British Canoeing Foundation Safety and Rescue Training (FSRT)
- British Canoeing Paddlesport Instructor Course
- Climbing Wall Instructor Award Training
- Archery GB Instructor qualification
- In-house High Ropes training & assessment
- Either Hill and Moorland Leader or Lowland Leader (dependent on prior experience)